Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cake & caterpillar

Our neighbor, Julie, had her birthday party last night. Finally, a legitimate reason to bake a cake! This is the Texas-Italian Cream cake with cream cheese frosting from the Moosewood Dessert Cookbook.
We were so very excited to find this lovely guy on our carrots today. I had left a few carrots in the ground hoping that they would flower and go to seed. Carrots are part of the parsley family and have blooms like Queen Anne's Lace and I love Queen Anne's Lace (we don't have it here). So far we've not seen any flowers. We're hoping to keep this caterpillar through its chrysalis stage. I'm pretty sure it is a Black Swallowtail and I'd love to see it emerge. I bet the kids would, too.

And this crazy looking thing is an egg case from a Green Lynx Spider. Henry found the spider the other day in our front yard. She (and I know now it is a she) hid in the bushes before I could get her photo.

We're going to hang on to this until they hatch, then quickly, and I mean QUICKLY, let them go. I like spiders, but a swarming mass of them inside our house makes me a little uncomfortable.



No comments:

About Us

Moms to Henry, Mae, Isabel, Josephine, Lucinda and Matilda