Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Winter is over!

At least for a few days it is. More rain and cold predicted for Friday. Today was a bit warmer than our snowy day, but not warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Mae wore them anyway. That is a giant (picked way past its prime) radish.
As you can imagine, I've been spending a lot of time in the gardens (both schools and at home). I finally remembered to take out my camera and use it today. I always have it with me, but while teaching or leading a class, it is sometimes hard to take pictures. Above is a new plum tree we just put in at the kids school (along with 12 other new fruit trees including pomegranate, persimmon and strawberry guava!).
This rainbow chard was just begging me to take its picture. We picked it and a bunch of its friends to bring up to the school kitchen along with beets, leeks and turnips.
Poppies have just started blooming, although most of these are calendula. They're both bright orange and I like them a lot! The best thing about these is that they reseed themselves. I've never planted either one. Flowers like this really make a garden (and gardener) look good.

1 comment:

Grandma Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

About Us

Moms to Henry, Mae, Isabel, Josephine, Lucinda and Matilda