Monday, December 17, 2007

Angel food cake

I have never before attempted one of these. They require so many egg whites, I could never justify wasting that many yolks. However, last week I made two batches of key lime bars and two types of sugar cookies totalling 8 leftover egg whites. Lucky me. I followed the recipe in the Moosewood Desserts cookbook exactly. I even cooled the cake inverted over a bottle as instructed. Not sure why, though.
It was an orange-coconut angel food cake and it worked perfectly. Light, fluffy, tall and white. Really lovely looking. It tasted terrible. I should have known better than to add orange zest to anything. Blech. Just my personal opinion. The kids liked it and ate most of it. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm over-egg-whited again, I'll definitely make this because it was fun. BUT I will never add orange zest to anything, ever. Period.

1 comment:

Wendy & Jil - The Original Agreeable Sisters said...

looks lovely. i agree with the orange zest - leave it out!
Check out the bottom of the blog. I wasn't sure you would approve so I didn't put it on the top where everyone could automatically see it.

About Us

Moms to Henry, Mae, Isabel, Josephine, Lucinda and Matilda