Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh my goodness, this was good!

I have been a fan of Sarah McLachlan for a long time. I've even seen her in concert (yes, the Lilith Fair a long time ago). So, I picked up her cookbook (also a long time ago). I've made a few things and they have all been pretty tasty.

But this is the recipe I had been wanting to make and just never got around to it. It looked so good from the very first time I flipped through the pages. It's called Grandma's upside down apple tart. It isn't really a tart, but more a puff pastry on top of apples and sugar. I must confess, I tried to make this a few weeks ago and burned (black, smokey, stinky) the apples. Aarghh!


This time I watched very closely as the apples bubbled away in the sugary, buttery pan.


The result, yummy sweet (almost too sweet, could have used ice cream or whip cream to cut the sugar, but I didn't have enough heavy cream on hand-not my fault-Trader Joe's was out on Saturday) warm gooey apples with a crispy bottom. If you think this plate looks way too small to adequately feed a family of 5, you are right! But don't worry, I made two!



2 comments:

Wendy & Jil - The Original Agreeable Sisters said...

I went to the Lilith Fair too. We must be sisters.

Wendy & Jil - The Original Agreeable Sisters said...

We went together, right? You should try the sweater rainbow. I've even done some of my books that way. And of course, the markers are always in rainbow order. Freak!

About Us

Moms to Henry, Mae, Isabel, Josephine, Lucinda and Matilda